From our beginning, the Missionary Sisters of the Holy Rosary (MSHR) were drawn to the power of education to lead people to self-determination, especially women. That goal still thrives among the various communities that have felt — and continue to feel— the MSHR presence.
Schools Multiply throughout Nigeria … then throughout Africa
This legacy began in 1928, when the Holy Rosary Sisters established the first school to educate women in Southern Nigeria. In the following years in Nigeria, the sisters have managed and staffed 224 primary schools, 11 secondary/high schools, 13 teacher-training colleges, and one commercial school. Click here to read the full story
We have handed these schools over to the government or indigenous religious congregations. Many of our former students now manage and staff the schools. Today, Sisters still staff one nursery/primary school and one secondary/high school in Southern Nigeria. Many former MSHR students went on to hold prominent positions in their communities and countries.
The Sisters expanded support of the women and families throughout Africa; South Africa in 1940, Sierra Leone in 1948, Kenya and Cameroon in 1956, and Ethiopia in 1975. We opened and managed an additional 17 primary schools, 11 secondary schools, four teacher-training colleges, and six vocational schools.
Called to Service: Responding to Change
The Holy Rosary Sisters continue to respond to the changing global culture, including the education and social justice needs of the people they serve. Justice ministries through education and advocacy are part of MSHR life in both developed and developing countries.
The need for Adult Literacy Programs has become increasingly obvious and attended to especially in communities where war and conflict has interrupted traditional education. Tutoring immigrants and refugees, in host countries, provides our semi-retired sisters a continued opportunity to live out their missionary call.